Sunday, April 23, 2006

Good Morning!

I have never really experienced spring before. I THOUGHT that I had in Seattle, but it turns out that for 20 years I've been missing out. Spring here in Germany is incredible. There are daffodils and random colorful flowers sprouting up everywhere, and I'm not able to tell whether they were planted there or whether Germany is just so cool that they just grow there of their own accord.

It has warmed up considerably in the past few days, and jackets are no longer necessary during the day. The Neckar has returned to its spring/summer alpine green color, the birds are constantly singing, and the trees are blooming. Even the stubborn tree outside my window, which has been naked of its foilage since late October, is getting in the game.


Waking up in the morning has been incredible. The sun is up by 6:30, and since I sleep with the window and the blinds open now, I wake up to the birds outside and the warm sunlight streaming in onto my pillow. Now I sit at my desk, looking at the trees as I write, and wondering how long the new Papyrus plant that I bought (see above) is going to live. What a great way to wake up. If this keeps up I just might become a morning person.

3 comments:

Lori said...

It is beautiful!

Erica said...

I know, Spring here in PA is almost exactly the same way. Maybe that's why so many Germans settled here? It's really amazing to look out over the rolling hills and see all of the flowering trees and a green mist forming over the wooded valleys. We have no fewer than 7 trees on our property that burst into bloom one right after the other.

I like that new plant a lot! I just bought a new plant for my room too -- an english ivy. Mom killed my old one this summer when I was in Seattle, and I just got around to replacing it.

Margaret said...

well matty, if this whole finance and shit stuff doesn't work out for you, you should take the route of the guy in love actually...move out to a villa by a lake, hire a foreign housekeeper that speaks some language you don't know yet, write a book and go swimming naked in the sunshine. for life.