Sunday, July 29, 2007

Squeeze the little stress ball, relax, repeat.

After dozens and dozens and dozens of messages sent out on both facebook and craigslist I am still homeless for the fall semester and fast approaching the point of panic. I remain way behind on my thesis and other summer projects, I have only two work weeks left in my internship and TONS left that I want to do before I report to the executives.

In other news, I gave blood last week for the first time ever and

1) It scared the living daylights out of me when the blood-taker guy slid the needle into my arm and joked, "Oh, you're bleeding."
2) I was loopy for most of the afternoon from losing what must surely be 1/8th of my blood supply, which was kind of fun.
3) Filling out the forms they make you sign before donating assuring them you don't have AIDS is much easier when 90% of what they're concerned about ("Did you have 'relations' with a man before 1973?") occurred in a time frame that elapsed long before you were born.
3) It was not nearly as horrible as I thought it would be and I plan on making it a regular habit.

3 comments:

Cameron said...

Unfortunately, there's no way I can give blood. I wached my Grandma do it once and threw up after almost passing out. So I'm guessing that it would be a good idea for me :-). Glad you did it though!

Hi -- I'm Erica said...

I gave blood when I was 15 --- I didn't mind it at all, and didn't even feel bad. It was the shock of my life though when a few weeks later Mom calls me at school to tell me she was going to pick me up from school. I get in the car and she looks like she's going to cry, she hands me a letter from the blood bank. They want to meet with me to talk about some test results from my blood donation. She had called the bank and they told her what they test for -- everything they mentioned was either an STD (which was out of the question) or a deadly disease/ cancer. I went into that office thinking, "Okay, I may have less than a year to live."

The woman takes me back to a tiny office and says, "just so you know, there's nothing wrong with you."

Apparently I came up as a false positive for AIDS --- probably from some benadryl I'd taken a week or so before. Because of that I'm never allowed to give blood again for the rest of my life.

Katy said...

Hey Matt, Your apt. situation kind of sounds like mine, except I was looking for one in Germany. Have you tried the local paper for listings of apartments? My big break came when I put an ad in saying a was looking for a place, and I got a few offers. Hope you find a nice or at least suitable place soon!