Saturday, October 22, 2005

Fall in Tübingen

Wow. Fall has descended upon Tübingen and let me tell you, it's amazingly gorgeous. Being from Seattle, I've not had much experience with real "seasons" (we have two: "rainy" and "very rainy"). It's been amazing to watch the trees change and the leaves slowly start to fall. Today Addy and I were walking through the Altstadt and as we crossed the Neckar bridge, we noticed that the lane of sycamores that is on the island in the middle of the river was just gorgeous (or rather, Addy noticed it, haha).

We went down there, and it was just phenomenal. The golden brown leaves covered the ground and the late afternoon sun shone softly through the branches of the tall sycamores. I walked along, dragging my feet in the grass to kick the leaves as I went. The Neckar, clearer than I've ever seen it, was flowing peacefully by on both banks, and the air was amazingly warm. I probably didn't even need my jacket.

Through the trees on the other side of the island I could see the colorful pastel paints of the houses lining the river against an unbelievably blue sky. Meanwhile, Addy started throwing leaves in the air.

It was, as Addy put it, the perfect fall day. It really was. I wish I could have just sat there for hours and read a book or just looked at it or something, and I'm kicking myself for not having my camera with me. Tomorrow is supposed to be just as nice, so I'm definitely going back to attempt to capture it for you all -- and for myself.

As we leaned against a park bench taking it all in, Addy summed it up best: "This is why I came to Tübingen -- whether I knew it or not."

Indeed.

No comments: