Tuesday, October 25, 2005

If You're an Idiot, Please Raise Your Hand

I had my first real German seminar today, "Translation from Medieval High German." To describe the 3-hour session in short.....

Oh my goodness. I wanted to cry. Okay not really but I definitely felt like screaming. Take German, put marbles in your mouth, and then jumble up the letters, and you've got medieval German. It's barely even recognizable as German. I don't know how I'm going to do this. It's a completely different language in and of itself, with a totally different set of phonetics and everything. The worst part was when the professor passed out a sonnet that was written in medieval German and went around the room having us take turns reading it. My heart was pounding so hard I honestly was wondering if people could see it through my shirt.

In other news, I've also realized that I've signed up for my classes in such a way that I have almost everything on Tuesdays. From 9am to 6pm, I will be in class continuously with the exception of a 1-hour break. I have no choice, because I have to take these classes, and the wonderful German university system only offers one or two sections of each seminar/lecture.

So basically the overall feeling right now is sort of stressed out. I need a planner desperately and I can't find one anywhere in this city that has 2005 in it. There is so much to do this week and I'm afraid I've forgotten half of it already for not having something to write it all in. Other than that I just really feel a need to do something to de-stress. It'd be nice to kick back with a beer or three and a book or something, but that's going to have to wait till tomorrow night or Wednesday. I've got too much to do.

No comments: