Sunday, November 20, 2005

This Is Life, And It's Good

Yesterday a group of us went to Stuttgart for almost the entire day to see the new Harry Potter movie.  We took the noon train in, bummed around for a bit and got a late lunch, then caught the 4pm showing.  The movie was great.  I won't say anything other than that.    Then a bunch of us decided to stick around for a showing of Elizabethtown, which was not nearly as great but instead just okay.  In between movies we had a good 2 hours to kill, so we all went to Starbucks for coffee.  On the way there Bill and I attempted to explain to the girls why Hermoine is drop-dead gorgeous.  They just don't get it.  Addy was really confused because she didn't understand how Hermoine, a girl who doesn't look like the ones in the magazines, is what guys want.  So let me announce on behalf of maledom for the benefit of femaledom:

Ahem.  The girls on the magazine coveres do NOT, I repeat, do NOT, embody the ideal that every guy wants in a woman.  We MUCH prefer natural, untampered beauty such as Hermoine's to airbrushed and very obviously exaggerated beauty.  So just endeavor to look like Hermoine and you'll all be home free.

And yes, I'm aware the Hermoine is only 15 years old at this point.  But I ask you: consider, if she's this beautiful at 15, what she'll look like when she's finally legal! 

We also decided, since it was freezing cold, to get some Glühwein in between movies in order to warm up.  I had never had it before, and it's a weird taste at first.  When you first take a sip and it first hits your tongue you'd swear it's apple cider, and then suddenly the wine's sour aftertaste floods your palate and reminds you that you're actually drinking hot wine with a bunch of spices and not apple juice.  It was good stuff and really warmed us up.

It was just overall a really great night.  There was a moment on the subway when I was just sitting there watching the stations go by....Schlossplatz, Fauststrasse, Rathaus....and one thought wouldn't leave me alone:

"How am I going to be able to leave this place at the end of the year?  I can't leave.  This is my home."

Like I've said before, life here is a roller coaster.  I'm on a crest right now.  It's a weird feeling up here at the top of the world....this really has become home, even after only 3 months, and what's hard to think about is how difficult it's going to be to leave this place behind.  That's the last thing I want to think about right now.

Another thing on my mind right now is the fact that Christmas is racing up so fast it's making my head spin.  I'm also thinking a lot about how this is my first Christmas away from home.  Ever.  It's going to be hard.  Christmas in Seattle is absolutely gorgeous....I love it.  I bought some Christmas lights for my room and they're up around my window right now, lighting up the room in multicolored festivity.

I've been seeing a lot in the online news lately that Kansas recently decided to pass a proposal to allow teaching Intelligent Design in their schools, which of course is prompting an uproar from the left, who claim, as always, that the crazy right-wing zealouts are taking over the world.  My favorite argument against teaching Intelligent Design is that it's "not science." 

What intelligent design does is look at the complexity of the world and say, "if this wasn't created by a designer, then I don't know how it got here."  That's a perfectly acceptable scientific conclusion.  Conclusions like that -- the "I just don't know" conclusion -- are made all the time in all areas of science.  The difference with intelligent design is that it offers an explanation outside the world of science.  It turns to a creator instead of cold logic.  If you call that infusion of relgion with science, then fine.  Call it what you want.

The real problem that science has with intelligent design theory isn't that it's "not science."  It's that it's not the answer that science wants to hear.

19For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."  20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
1 Corinthians 1:19-20

No comments: