Tuesday, January 16, 2007

New Semester

Today was our first day of classes. It was a long day, with me on campus for 12 straight hours. I can tell Tuesdays are going to be the day where I bring lots of homework to work on in between classes to make good use of my 1.5 hour breaks. My classes look like they're going to be okay this semester. A couple are even interesting. I have the great fortune to be taking yet another class with my favorite professor in the whole business college. He is just amazing. Knows his field, has experience in his field, has traveled the world, and teaches with more gusto and passion than all my other profs combined. I love this guy. Plus he's from New York, so he has this awesome accent. It's great.

Tomorrow is book buying day. It's also "get organized" day - the day when I buy all my notebooks and binders and dividers and pens and pencils and highlighters and figure out how I'm going to run the semester. This always means questions like:

1) Should I take notes on paper or just type them out on my laptop and print them out to study?
2) If I use paper, should I buy one multi-subject notebook for all my classes or several individual notebooks? And, most importantly,
3) How should I keep track of assignments and deadlines?

In four years at ASU I have yet to devise an effective and efficient system for keeping track of my assignments. Each semester I try something a little different, and each semester it breaks down and results in me just keeping track of things in my head, which I don't like to do since I do forget things once in a blue moon. I have so many tools at my disposal, yet I can't ever seem to leverage them. I've got a computer with iCal, I've got a paper planner, and I've even got a whiteboard above my desk. It seems that the system requires a careful balance of ease of use, effectiveness, and centrality. It needs to be fast and easy to update and it needs to all be in one place. I don't want some things here and others there. All in one. Gah.

1 comment:

Lori said...

one semester I used a normal calendar and had a different color pen for each class. Then each class had a certain spot on the day for the calendar. It was good, because I could see long term stuff and it was all in order. It worked really well, you just have to keep up with it. But since most professors give you all the assignements at the beginning of the semester, you can fill it in the first weekend.