Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Homeland Security

After watching a documentary called "Why We Fight" tonight it's late, but before I go to bed I'd like to post about something that the film reminded me of. I had wanted to post about this originally but it's slipped my mind until now.

When I came back to the States for the first time in 6 months for my surprise visit back in February I was struck dumb by what I saw heading to the passport checks in Atlanta. We deboarded the plane and rounded a corner in the terminal to be greeted by a long, straight hallway. At the end of the hallway an enormous seal was on the wal. In its center, the American eagle, wings widespread, a shield on its chest, clutching arrows and olive branches. "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."


Maybe it was just the fact that I'd been living in Germany for half a year, but the word "Homeland" struck me like nails on a chalkboard. Homeland? It sounded so eerily close to Vaterland. Good Lord, what is this? Rounding another corner we were bombarded by stars and stripes on every conceivable surface and countless signs welcoming us to the United States of America. Passport check was weird. Even though I am an American citizen, I felt like a foreigner trying to sneak in with a forged passport as I handed the guard my papers and he scrutinized my identification. "Welcome home," he said and waved me on.

Then the terminal shuttle. "Next stop: Terminal A, as in Alpha." "Next stop: Terminal B, as in Bravo." "Next stop: Termainal C: as in Charlie." D as in Delta, F as in Foxtrot......I sat there stunned. Had they always used the military alphabet in the airports like that? I couldn't remember for sure, but I could've sworn it used to be A as in Apple and B as in Betty or something ridiculous like that.

The overall impression during the first 20 mintues of my time back in the States was the overwhelming realization that I live in a highly militarized and extremely - almost fanatically - patriotic country. I had never felt that way about it before, but I suppose extended time abroad changes your perceptions of home, or at least your "first" impressions.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

when i was coming back from london i got stopped by not only the general security people, but 3 (THREE) extra guards, who looked at all my paper work and asked exactly (as in where when why who and what i thought about it all) what i'd been doing in england. i was there for a WEEK! litrally, "how do you spell your friend that you were staying with's last name?" i know what you mean about feeling like a criminal...can you imagine moving into this country? land of the free? my ass...i'd be scared.

Erica said...

What freaks me out at the airports (in addition to all that you just mentioned)are the military dudes hanging out by the Starbucks kiosk in full camo battle gear with their M-16s in their hands for all to see. I also hate the fact that no matter where I am now -- even if I'm not breaking any laws at all someone can come up to me and demand to see ID -- it's like those old WWII or Cold War movies where an German/Soviet offical goes up to a citizen and says, "Papers?" in that sinister voice.